any single player CRPG games like Baldur's Gate/Shadowss of Amn?
Yes
2018-12-13 19:19:46 UTC
I used to play the BG/BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale and
Wizardry (5,6 & 7) series a lot, also Morrowind. The Fallout and the
Star Wars series did not have the same appeal for me as BG/IWD/NWN.

Are there any single-player CRPG games being offered these days that
approach the style of those games? Sims, combat and strategy games
don't interest me. And games requiring a high end graphics card are
also a no go.

Thanks,

John
Dimensional Traveler
2018-12-13 19:33:39 UTC
Post by Yes
I used to play the BG/BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale and
Wizardry (5,6 & 7) series a lot, also Morrowind. The Fallout and the
Star Wars series did not have the same appeal for me as BG/IWD/NWN.
Are there any single-player CRPG games being offered these days that
approach the style of those games? Sims, combat and strategy games
don't interest me. And games requiring a high end graphics card are
also a no go.
There is Wizardry 8 which concludes the trilogy with Wiz6 and 7. It is
old enough to not need what is considered a high end graphics card today
but it does deviate some from the prior Wizardry titles in graphics and
a little bit in game play.
instinct are running screaming.
Zaghadka
2018-12-14 05:01:35 UTC
On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:19:46 -0000 (UTC), in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,
Post by Yes
I used to play the BG/BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale and
Wizardry (5,6 & 7) series a lot, also Morrowind. The Fallout and the
Star Wars series did not have the same appeal for me as BG/IWD/NWN.
Are there any single-player CRPG games being offered these days that
approach the style of those games? Sims, combat and strategy games
don't interest me. And games requiring a high end graphics card are
also a no go.
IMO, they don't require high-end cards, but you may have a different
definition of it.

Tyranny

Pillars of Eternity

are both spiritual successors to Baldur's Gate/IWD series.
--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten
Spalls Hurgenson
2018-12-14 15:01:44 UTC
On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:19:46 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
Post by Yes
I used to play the BG/BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale and
Wizardry (5,6 & 7) series a lot, also Morrowind. The Fallout and the
Star Wars series did not have the same appeal for me as BG/IWD/NWN.
Are there any single-player CRPG games being offered these days that
approach the style of those games? Sims, combat and strategy games
don't interest me. And games requiring a high end graphics card are
also a no go.
The Pillars of Eternity series immediately springs to mind; it's a
classic top-down (often erroneously "isometric") RPG in the vein of
the the old Infinity-engine games.

You may also wish to considers others, such as "Torment: Tides of
Numenera", "Tyranny" or the "Divinity: Original Sin" franchies; all
share a similar viewpoint.

Of course, there's always the Witcher series, especially Witcher 3.

If you want a break from the usual fantasy locales, Wasteland 2 and
the Shadowrun Returns franchise are worth a look.
Yes
2018-12-14 19:36:27 UTC
Thanks. I'll check them out.

John
Bozo User
2023-11-13 10:42:51 UTC
Post by Yes
I used to play the BG/BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale and
Wizardry (5,6 & 7) series a lot, also Morrowind. The Fallout and the
Star Wars series did not have the same appeal for me as BG/IWD/NWN.
Are there any single-player CRPG games being offered these days that
approach the style of those games? Sims, combat and strategy games
don't interest me. And games requiring a high end graphics card are
also a no go.
Thanks,
John
Well, obviously, Planescape:Torment. You can play it in modern machines
with the GemRB engine, but you need the original game data either from
discs or maybe from GOG.