Wizardry 7 import from Wizardry 6
Add Reply
Lane Larson
2024-05-05 00:15:31 UTC
Had an import and blasted through until I realized I wouldn't get Cure
Paralyze until lvl 9. Too late for me! Found that the import is
randomized some, finally got one with two characters starting with Cure
Paralyze, the Priest and the Valkyrie. I believe this is what's
necessary to win because Savant Troopers hand out Paralyze like nobody's
business.

I guess I don't have the patience to finish Wizardry 6 right now - using
an interim save. I'm fairly far along, currently at the crystal puzzle
where you have to crack it 4 times and then it busts open, down in the
mines.

Wizardry 7 is considerably prettier than Wizardry 6 and the interface is
better. I'm in -- my valkyrie is decimating the opposition with Giant
Sledge from Wizardry 6.
Mike S.
2024-05-05 13:24:04 UTC
On Sat, 4 May 2024 19:15:31 -0500, Lane Larson
Post by Lane Larson
Wizardry 7 is considerably prettier than Wizardry 6 and the interface is
better. I'm in -- my valkyrie is decimating the opposition with Giant
Sledge from Wizardry 6.
Wiz 7 is definitely nicer to look at. Wiz 6 looks ugly but that won't
stop me from playing it. I enjoyed the earlier Wiz games so I should
like Wiz 6 as well.

Did you play Wiz 6 with keyboard or mouse controls?
Spalls Hurgenson
2024-05-05 15:12:33 UTC
Post by Lane Larson
Wizardry 7 is considerably prettier than Wizardry 6 and the interface is
better. I'm in -- my valkyrie is decimating the opposition with Giant
Sledge from Wizardry 6.
Wiz 7 is definitely nicer to look at. Wiz 6 looks ugly but that won't
stop me from playing it. I enjoyed the earlier Wiz games so I should
like Wiz 6 as well.
I'm always surprised by how old "Wizardry 6" is. It's a game from
1990, and only supports 16-color VGA and PC speaker sound. In my mind,
I always think of it as from a slightly later era, with 256 colors and
soundblaster support. But no, it's not got either. It looks like a
game from two years earlier; a game made to compete with titles like
"Pool of Radiance" or the original "Wasteland".

"Crusaders of the Dark Savant" is better - 256 colors! Roland MT-32
support! - but even in 1992 this wasn't particularly cutting edge.
Compared to its contemporaries - "Ultima VII", "Might & Magic IV:
Clouds of Xeen", "Darklands", "Realms of Rrkania", "The Summoning",
"Eye of the Beholder II" all released the same year - "Wizardy VII"
looked felt like a game two years out of date.

Which doesn't say anything about it's worth as a game. I was never
really a "Wizardry" fan. I never really got into the games very
deeply. But I know a lot of people loved it, and I'll bow to their
better-informed opinions on the matter. It's probably a fine game. But
the "Wizardry" series always struggled when it came to its
presentation.
Mike S.
2024-05-05 18:25:38 UTC
On Sun, 05 May 2024 11:12:33 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Which doesn't say anything about it's worth as a game. I was never
really a "Wizardry" fan. I never really got into the games very
deeply. But I know a lot of people loved it, and I'll bow to their
better-informed opinions on the matter. It's probably a fine game. But
the "Wizardry" series always struggled when it came to its
presentation.
Don't forget Wizardry 5 was still using their wireframe wall engine
from the first game.
Lane Larson
2024-05-06 00:07:34 UTC
Post by Lane Larson
Wizardry 7 is considerably prettier than Wizardry 6 and the interface is
better. I'm in -- my valkyrie is decimating the opposition with Giant
Sledge from Wizardry 6.
Wiz 7 is definitely nicer to look at. Wiz 6 looks ugly but that won't
stop me from playing it. I enjoyed the earlier Wiz games so I should
like Wiz 6 as well.
Did you play Wiz 6 with keyboard or mouse controls?
I didn't know there was an option. I used a combination of the two
because ENTER selects the first item in a menu. <spoiler> For example
in the belfry ENTER chooses jump around and that is a choice I make often.
Mike S.
2024-05-06 13:55:32 UTC
On Sun, 5 May 2024 19:07:34 -0500, Lane Larson
Post by Lane Larson
I didn't know there was an option. I used a combination of the two
because ENTER selects the first item in a menu. <spoiler> For example
in the belfry ENTER chooses jump around and that is a choice I make often.
The game makes you choose one or the other in the options. You are
using mouse controls. You can't select menu items with the keyboard
with mouse controls on. The Return key works but that is about all
that works I think with mouse controls on.

I am not sure which control method is superior which is why I was
curious about which you were using.
Lane Larson
2024-05-06 14:18:44 UTC
Post by Lane Larson
I didn't know there was an option. I used a combination of the two
because ENTER selects the first item in a menu. <spoiler> For example
in the belfry ENTER chooses jump around and that is a choice I make often.
The game makes you choose one or the other in the options. You are
using mouse controls. You can't select menu items with the keyboard
with mouse controls on. The Return key works but that is about all
that works I think with mouse controls on.
I am not sure which control method is superior which is why I was
curious about which you were using.
Oh I would definitely choose mouse then. The main action list which is
used often has 12 options and I wouldn't want to do that by keyboard
every time.
Mike S.
2024-05-06 18:45:38 UTC
On Mon, 6 May 2024 09:18:44 -0500, Lane Larson
Post by Lane Larson
Oh I would definitely choose mouse then. The main action list which is
used often has 12 options and I wouldn't want to do that by keyboard
every time.
Ok, that makes sense to me. Thanks.