Sam & Max Season1: retail-available Aug29 - avoid Steam purchase unless .....
John Lewis
2007-06-30 20:21:41 UTC
...you are filthy-rich, in a can't-wait hurry, live in Timbuctoo, or
you are just a Steam-worshipping zombie........

The complete "Season One" Edition of Sam & Max (all 6 episodes) will
be available retail on August 29.

Price on "www.gogamer.com" will be $24.99 (plus $2.59 dirt-cheap
shipping anywhere in mainland US).

The retail package comes with the following goodies:-

Tons of hilarious Sam & Max Extras

A full-sized printed poster featuring artwork by Sam & Max creator
Steve Purcell

An all-new Sam & Max Behind the Scenes video. Trailers for all six
episodes and previously unreleased character bios.

Loads of concept artwork, Desktop wallpapers and a MP3 soundtrack
sampler!

Access to other Sam & Max goodies, such as an online web comic and
comic generator for making your very own comic strips!

As usual, the retail price is a lot better than the prices charged for
Steam-download third-party games (with no extra goodies) by the
money-grubbers at Valve:-

Valve/Steam prices for the Sam & Max Season One Episodes:-
$8.95 per episode
$19.95 per package in groups of 3.

Also the retail system-requirements listed on the Gogamer website are
as follows:-

Windows XP/Vista
Pentium 1.5GHz or better
256MB RAM
3D Graphics Card with Shader 2.0 or higher
DirectX compatible Sound Card
CD/DVDROM Drive
Keyboard
Mouse

Notice that there is no mention of the dreaded "Internet Connection
Required", the Steam warning-bell (and death-knell) for single-player
games.

(For comparison: At the present release rate, it will probably be
2010 by the time all 3 HL2 Episodes will finally be available in a
retail collection - with the mandatory Steam umbilical, of course)

John Lewis
Ham Pastrami
2007-06-30 23:05:27 UTC
Post by John Lewis
...you are filthy-rich, in a can't-wait hurry, live in Timbuctoo, or
you are just a Steam-worshipping zombie........
Or if you're not filthy rich, go straight to the source and get a Gametap
account for one month (99 cents on their promo).
FoolsGold
2007-06-30 23:10:27 UTC
Post by John Lewis
...you are filthy-rich, in a can't-wait hurry, live in Timbuctoo, or
you are just a Steam-worshipping zombie........
The complete "Season One" Edition of Sam & Max (all 6 episodes) will
be available retail on August 29.
Is that when it's released? Shit, it's been out on the torrents for
about a week now (haven't downloaded it, just observed it was there).
Shawk
2007-06-30 23:34:05 UTC
Post by John Lewis
...you are filthy-rich, in a can't-wait hurry, live in Timbuctoo, or
you are just a Steam-worshipping zombie........
...etc
Post by John Lewis
The retail package comes with the following goodies:-
Tons of hilarious Sam & Max Extras
I hope you're quoting that. A friend has the Sam & Max games a neither
of us found the games or extras very funny at all. Nothing like the
original.
John Lewis
2007-07-01 05:08:25 UTC
Post by John Lewis
The retail package comes with the following goodies:-
Tons of hilarious Sam & Max Extras
I hope you're quoting that.
Yes indeed.
Post by Shawk
A friend has the Sam & Max games a neither
of us found the games or extras very funny at all. Nothing like the
original.
I feared that.....sigh.....

John Lewis
Shawk
2007-07-01 11:14:12 UTC
Post by John Lewis
Post by Shawk
A friend has the Sam & Max games a neither
of us found the games or extras very funny at all. Nothing like the
original.
I feared that.....sigh.....
...of course it all depends on your sense of humour but I found it
childish and repetitive - there were a few sniggers but it is not nearly
as clever as Hit the Road
FoolsGold
2007-07-01 11:25:31 UTC
Post by Shawk
Post by John Lewis
Post by Shawk
A friend has the Sam & Max games a neither
of us found the games or extras very funny at all. Nothing like the
original.
I feared that.....sigh.....
...of course it all depends on your sense of humour but I found it
childish and repetitive - there were a few sniggers but it is not nearly
as clever as Hit the Road
Well I liked the episodes!

Then again, I never played Hit the Road so I didn't have any standards
going in, although I do have DOSBox.

(Idea...forming...)
Flo 'Irian' Schaetz
2007-07-01 12:23:30 UTC
And thus spoke FoolsGold...
Post by FoolsGold
Well I liked the episodes!
So did I.
Post by FoolsGold
Then again, I never played Hit the Road so I didn't have any standards
going in, although I do have DOSBox.
Forget DosBox. There something much better for playing "Hit the road"
(or "Day of Tentacle", "Monkey Island I + II", etc.etc.):

ScummVM: http://www.scummvm.org/

Have fun.

Flo
Static Void
2007-07-03 18:07:35 UTC
Post by Shawk
Post by John Lewis
Post by Shawk
A friend has the Sam & Max games a neither
of us found the games or extras very funny at all. Nothing like the
original.
I feared that.....sigh.....
...of course it all depends on your sense of humour but I found it
childish and repetitive - there were a few sniggers but it is not nearly
as clever as Hit the Road
Not sure how "repetitve" would apply to an adventure type game but yea, a
couple of lol's and chuckles here and there but then again I never thought
HTR was all that funny either (it's been a while though).

But overall I think Telltales did a damn good job overall maintaining the
flavor and atmosphere of the original while making the often times difficult
transition to 3D. I have only played the first 2 so far -- was pretty
impressed with the first, not so much the second. Will definitely pick up
the six pack specially at that price.
Jenny100
2007-07-01 05:37:57 UTC
Post by Shawk
...you are filthy-rich, in a can't-wait hurry, live in Timbuctoo, or you
are just a Steam-worshipping zombie........
...etc
The retail package comes with the following goodies:-
Tons of hilarious Sam & Max Extras
I hope you're quoting that. A friend has the Sam & Max games a neither of
us found the games or extras very funny at all. Nothing like the
original.
The extras aren't even available yet. You buy them separately from the
game.
http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc
Shawk
2007-07-01 11:10:56 UTC
Post by Jenny100
Post by Shawk
...you are filthy-rich, in a can't-wait hurry, live in Timbuctoo, or you
are just a Steam-worshipping zombie........
...etc
The retail package comes with the following goodies:-
Tons of hilarious Sam & Max Extras
I hope you're quoting that. A friend has the Sam & Max games a neither of
us found the games or extras very funny at all. Nothing like the
original.
The extras aren't even available yet. You buy them separately from the
game.
http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc
Thanks for that - I had the extras down as the machinima shorts released
after each episode but now I see there's more to it..
pc games
2007-07-01 12:53:42 UTC
I'll buy the game to support freedom, choice and competition in the PC
Game market but you guys have to help me.
So when the thing is out please warm us, tell us what specific edition
to buy and here to buy it.

I'm getting tired of doing everything... so for a chance someone else
should do the work this time...
Shawk
2007-07-01 13:51:38 UTC
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=all&initial=1&cc=GB
should do the work this time...
Les Steel
2007-07-01 15:03:02 UTC
Post by pc games
I'll buy the game to support freedom, choice and competition in the PC
Game market but you guys have to help me.
So when the thing is out please warm us, tell us what specific edition
to buy and here to buy it.
Yes please do, its cold here.
Post by pc games
I'm getting tired of doing everything... so for a chance someone else
should do the work this time...
You do nothing excpet spout a load of shit on usenet. Try googling or asking
jeeves or something.
John Lewis
2007-07-01 15:56:15 UTC
Post by pc games
I'll buy the game to support freedom, choice and competition in the PC
Game market but you guys have to help me.
So when the thing is out please warm us,
I have a handy propane torch. Where would you like to be warmed?
Oh, don't answer that; kiddies might be reading......

John Lewis
and tell us what specific edition
should do the work this time...
noman
2007-07-03 19:43:15 UTC
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:21:41 GMT, ***@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

[snip]
Post by John Lewis
Notice that there is no mention of the dreaded "Internet Connection
Required", the Steam warning-bell (and death-knell) for single-player
games.
The "Internet Connection Required" bit doesn't bother me at all (adn
for Steam, it's needed during activation, because after that offline
mode should work fine) but if this retail box comes with no activation
(besides a CD key), that'd be reason enough for me to wait for it.

I'd like to get the version directly from Telltale Games ($35 to
download season 1 and then get the DVD in mail later with some extra
shipping cost) to reward the developers, but those versions come with
game-activation. Each install to a new PC, requires you to either
activate via internet or send your PC hash-key (generated by Telltale
utility) to the developers who mail you back the activation code. For
the reinstall you can use the same activation code, if your PC
hardware hasn't changed sufficiently.

I do understand why developers would like to do this, but when given a
choice, I'd always go for a version, that has absolutely no activation
tied to the PC on which the game is installed or to the developers for
generating a code.

It reminds me, that for a long time, I wanted a 3DFX glide wrapper to
run hardware accelerated Redguard on a modern day graphic card and I
didn't purchase the $10 GLIDOS wrapper which worked perfectly but was
tied to the PC hardware and reinstalling required sending a mail to
its creator. Fortunately I found another perfectly working wrapper -
dgvoodoo2, which runs fine in Redguard. It's free.

My 2¢
Noman
Jenny100
2007-07-03 20:30:38 UTC
Post by noman
[snip]
Post by John Lewis
Notice that there is no mention of the dreaded "Internet Connection
Required", the Steam warning-bell (and death-knell) for single-player
games.
The "Internet Connection Required" bit doesn't bother me at all (adn for
Steam, it's needed during activation, because after that offline mode
should work fine) but if this retail box comes with no activation (besides
a CD key), that'd be reason enough for me to wait for it.
I'd like to get the version directly from Telltale Games ($35 to download
season 1 and then get the DVD in mail later with some extra shipping cost)
to reward the developers, but those versions come with game-activation.
According to what has been posted here and in other forums
http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1178831852/0#0
The DVD version from Telltale will not require activation.
noman
2007-07-03 21:28:40 UTC
Post by Jenny100
Post by noman
[snip]
Post by John Lewis
Notice that there is no mention of the dreaded "Internet Connection
Required", the Steam warning-bell (and death-knell) for single-player
games.
The "Internet Connection Required" bit doesn't bother me at all (adn for
Steam, it's needed during activation, because after that offline mode
should work fine) but if this retail box comes with no activation (besides
a CD key), that'd be reason enough for me to wait for it.
I'd like to get the version directly from Telltale Games ($35 to download
season 1 and then get the DVD in mail later with some extra shipping cost)
to reward the developers, but those versions come with game-activation.
According to what has been posted here and in other forums
http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1178831852/0#0
The DVD version from Telltale will not require activation.
If that's the case, I don't mind paying a bit more to Telltale Games
directly and download season1 for now. Thanks!
Noman
riku
2007-07-06 08:09:44 UTC
Post by noman
The "Internet Connection Required" bit doesn't bother me at all (adn
for Steam, it's needed during activation, because after that offline
mode should work fine)
I agree, it SHOULD. That's the minimum requirement. ;)

mattchu
2007-07-04 00:54:14 UTC
Post by John Lewis
The complete "Season One" Edition of Sam & Max (all 6 episodes) will
be available retail on August 29.
Price on "www.gogamer.com" will be $24.99 (plus $2.59 dirt-cheap
shipping anywhere in mainland US).
Notice that there is no mention of the dreaded "Internet Connection
Required", the Steam warning-bell (and death-knell) for single-player
games.
Cool! I'm eagerly awaiting this release. I completed a quick replay
of the first Sam & Max from Lucas Arts using the ScummVM engine not
too long ago.

--
Best Regards, mat <it's still a hoot!>
np:
Shawk
2007-07-04 01:05:33 UTC
Post by mattchu
Post by John Lewis
The complete "Season One" Edition of Sam & Max (all 6 episodes) will
be available retail on August 29.
Price on "www.gogamer.com" will be $24.99 (plus $2.59 dirt-cheap
shipping anywhere in mainland US).
Notice that there is no mention of the dreaded "Internet Connection
Required", the Steam warning-bell (and death-knell) for single-player
games.
Cool! I'm eagerly awaiting this release. I completed a quick replay
of the first Sam & Max from Lucas Arts using the ScummVM engine not
too long ago.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on how they compare given your recent
experience of the first. I 'may' be remembering it with rose-coloured
specs... ta.