Anyone else tried Matrix Online Stress test?
Rob Berryhill
2005-03-05 19:16:29 UTC
I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
confusing and the world seems very dead.
Rob Berryhill
shadows
2005-03-05 19:20:11 UTC
Post by Rob Berryhill
I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
confusing and the world seems very dead.
They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
is.

It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.
Jim Vieira
2005-03-05 21:20:34 UTC
Post by shadows
Post by Rob Berryhill
I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
confusing and the world seems very dead.
They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
is.
It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.
I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
it. But to each his own.
Knight37
2005-03-06 03:18:44 UTC
Post by Jim Vieira
Post by shadows
Post by Rob Berryhill
I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly
done ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are
kind of confusing and the world seems very dead.
They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
is.
It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.
I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
it. But to each his own.
I also thought 3 was the worst of the bunch.

I enjoyed certain parts of three but it was way too much "over the top" for
me to really enjoy.

Two was great. I loved the kung fu in that one. And the chase scene with
the truck and the motorcycle. Overall I think 2 is the best "thrill ride"
of the three, 1 is the best overall film, and 3 is just kind of "eh" to
finish out the plot (in a less than satisfactory way).

As for Matrix Online, I'll wait for reviews. I'm not even interested in a
free beta.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Xocyll
2005-03-06 07:39:41 UTC
Post by Knight37
Post by Jim Vieira
Post by shadows
Post by Rob Berryhill
[...]
About the best thing about the third one was that they didn't pull a
hollywood happily ever after ending.
Post by Knight37
As for Matrix Online, I'll wait for reviews. I'm not even interested in a
free beta.
The info on the third movie dvd made it sound pretty damn neat, but also
complicated as all hell. Trying to do a "fighting moves" kind of game
online with lag spikes and latency sounds like a recipe for disaster.

If it actually turns out to be good, then I likely will give it a shot,
but i'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

Xocyll
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
2005-03-06 09:51:18 UTC
Post by Xocyll
About the best thing about the third one was that they didn't pull a
hollywood happily ever after ending.
No, they pulled a Deus ex Machina "reset" ending instead. Dunno if
that's much better.

(Oh, and it hammered "Neo = Jesus" a bit heavily. In the first movie
the connotations were merely hinted at, in the third they screamed at
you.)

MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.
Lizard
2005-03-07 16:53:07 UTC
On 06 Mar 2005 10:51:18 +0100, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Post by Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.
Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?
How stupid do you have to be to not realize that with several hundred
thousand players, no one customer could get to be the 'hero' and have
powers/privileges/etc which no other customer could have?

What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Tron
2005-03-07 22:20:46 UTC
Post by Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.
What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)
I think they were expecting Vader and the Emporer to reward them with more
then a melon, holdout blaster and tattered jacket for doing a series of
quests.....
Lizard
2005-03-08 20:38:10 UTC
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:20:46 GMT, "Tron" <***@home.net>
wrotC:DRIVE_E
Post by Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.
What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)
I think they were expecting Vader and the Emporer to reward them with more
then a melon, holdout blaster and tattered jacket for doing a series of
quests.....
Well, I guess that's fair. :) Didn't they revamp the loot tables a
while back?

http://www.mrlizard.com
Briarroot
2005-03-07 23:50:22 UTC
Post by Lizard
Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?
How stupid do you have to be to not realize that with several hundred
thousand players, no one customer could get to be the 'hero' and have
powers/privileges/etc which no other customer could have?
What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)
Well, yeah. Isn't "moron" a perfect description of the typical Star
Wars fan?

<g,d,r!>
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
2005-03-08 09:17:06 UTC
Post by Lizard
Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?
No, that they would play a hero in a Star Wars game, like in the many
Star Wars games preceding it. Not that they would play a farmer or
hunter in a sci-fi grind-a-thon that had a vague link to the Star Wars
universe. Which was what they got.

The movies aren't about gathering minerals or shooting animals. Why
would a game that bears the Star Wars name be about things that don't
occur in the movies?
shadows
2005-03-08 14:04:13 UTC
Post by Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Post by Lizard
Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?
No, that they would play a hero in a Star Wars game, like in the many
Star Wars games preceding it. Not that they would play a farmer or
hunter in a sci-fi grind-a-thon that had a vague link to the Star Wars
universe. Which was what they got.
The movies aren't about gathering minerals or shooting animals. Why
would a game that bears the Star Wars name be about things that don't
occur in the movies?
It's changing now, rapidly which is causing folks like me who
found killing animals and gathering minerals fun to leave. I
might have said it in another post but you're quite right. If SWG
didn't use the Star Wars License and just had the great economic
engine it would have been a winner.
w***@yahoo.com
2005-03-08 14:16:38 UTC
that's correct, the one thing that I never could digest was watching
people walking by Corellia with 1-3 rancors happily hopping behind
them. Pokemon Galaxies would have been a more appropriate name for
the game.
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
2005-03-08 15:15:12 UTC
Post by shadows
It's changing now, rapidly which is causing folks like me who
found killing animals and gathering minerals fun to leave. I
might have said it in another post but you're quite right. If SWG
didn't use the Star Wars License and just had the great economic
engine it would have been a winner.
There is another game with a great economic engine, plus PvP and
gorgeous graphics (as background to the "window system" the actual
game takes place in :) )...

http://www.eve-online.com/
Xocyll
2005-03-09 22:34:16 UTC
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <***@broadpark.no> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
Post by Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Post by Xocyll
About the best thing about the third one was that they didn't pull a
hollywood happily ever after ending.
No, they pulled a Deus ex Machina "reset" ending instead. Dunno if
that's much better.
(Oh, and it hammered "Neo = Jesus" a bit heavily. In the first movie
the connotations were merely hinted at, in the third they screamed at
you.)
Well having Neo defeat Smith, then force peace on the machines, then
have he and Trinity living happily ever after would have been a far
worse ending than the one used.
Post by Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.
The info on the dvd made it seem like it could be pretty neat IF they
manage to pull it off. I'm sure as hell not going to be an early
adopter though.

Xocyll
Paul Murray
2005-03-06 12:14:42 UTC
Post by Xocyll
Post by Knight37
Post by Jim Vieira
Post by shadows
Post by Rob Berryhill
[...]
What? They completely wimped out on the ending.
The ending *should* have been that Neo was put back into the fields of human
pods, to go through the whole thing again the next time round.
ChoyKw
2005-03-08 04:06:21 UTC
Post by Knight37
Post by Jim Vieira
Post by shadows
Post by Rob Berryhill
I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly
done ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are
kind of confusing and the world seems very dead.
They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
is.
It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.
I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
it. But to each his own.
I also thought 3 was the worst of the bunch.
They have ruined 3 with those Dragon-Ballz-Super-Saiyan-style fighting at the
end....me and my friends were sitting in the theater, eyes popped and jaws
dropped and thinking: "WTF...is this Matrix or is this Dragon Ballz-starring
Kianu Reeves?"
"Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
-Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
Jim Vieira
2005-03-05 21:19:41 UTC
Post by Rob Berryhill
I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
confusing and the world seems very dead.
They missed the window where they should have marketed this
game. No one cares about the Matrix anymore. Especially since
the movies ended on such a sour, pathetic note. This MMORPG
will most certainly fail, even though I've said the same about WoW
and it's breaking records. (I don't get it by the way, I got so bored
to tears within a few months).
bioderm
I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually gets the axe.
Mark Morrison
2005-03-05 21:41:21 UTC
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:16:29 -0600, Rob Berryhill
Post by Rob Berryhill
I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
confusing and the world seems very dead.
I'm playing it, on and off. I really like the skill system (you can
learn any skill in the game, but can only have a certain number of
them 'loaded' at any one time, determined by your memory, which
increases as you level).

Combat is annoying as the camera tends to swing all over the place,
and can be a little nausia-inducing. And the NPCs in missions have
trouble going through doorways. And the Inventory is oddly milimiting
- as well as a set numbe of slots, you are also limited by number.
And you can only stash skills and code pieces (used in crafting) in a
'bank' but not clothes or items.

It's nowhere near ready, and I doubt I'll be getting it when it is.
And what's with all the carrots ?
w***@yahoo.com
2005-03-08 14:18:03 UTC
I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
That automatically kills it for me. But since it was a free playtest,
might as well play it till release... well not even. It'll be a major
flop
Lizard
2005-03-08 20:38:11 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
WHAT?

To quote Keanau Reeves: "Whoa."

I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?

http://www.mrlizard.com
Samy Merchi
2005-03-09 19:05:27 UTC
Post by Lizard
Post by w***@yahoo.com
I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?
Probably something along the lines of "it's easier to watch your back if
you can actually SEE your back".

I can't understand how some people can play in first person view. I'd have
to do three-sixty turns every five seconds just to make sure nobody was
behind me.

Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in third
person. Much less stressful playing that way.
--
Samy Merchi | ***@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction
"*Astrolabe*...whirls...*twirls*!"
Jim Vieira
2005-03-09 19:22:59 UTC
Post by Samy Merchi
Post by Lizard
Post by w***@yahoo.com
I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?
Probably something along the lines of "it's easier to watch your back if
you can actually SEE your back".
I can't understand how some people can play in first person view. I'd have
to do three-sixty turns every five seconds just to make sure nobody was
behind me.
Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in third
person. Much less stressful playing that way.
You can only see a few steps behind your back in most 3rd person
views, depending on camera distance. If someone is 10 feet or more
behind you, you won't see them either. They could still come running
up and catch you off guard. You are only gaining a couple of steps of
view range.

Still, the reason some of us prefer a first person view is they find it to
be more immersive. Also, with good 3D sound, you'll know if someone
is coming behind you.
w***@yahoo.com
2005-03-09 20:30:12 UTC
Yep, sound makes up for it, like you know... real life? Call it
immersion.
I only switch to third person view during some fights. Play 1st person
view 99% of the time. There's a difference between feeling like you're
there and feeling like I'm playing marionettes... pull right cord,
'toon' pulls up his right leg, I just hate that feeling.
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
2005-03-10 07:25:56 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Yep, sound makes up for it, like you know... real life? Call it
immersion.
Don't argue "real world" ANYTHING with MMORPGs. And in real life you
can move your head sideways - in first person games it seems your
character has some sort of neck injury.
Samy Merchi
2005-03-10 10:23:42 UTC
Post by Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Yep, sound makes up for it, like you know... real life? Call it
immersion.
Don't argue "real world" ANYTHING with MMORPGs. And in real life
you can move your head sideways - in first person games it seems
your character has some sort of neck injury.
Yeah, in real life your average person has somewhere between
140-180 degree field of vision, and with only slight turning around
of the head, you can fairly easily have a very good feel for 270
degrees around you. In a computer game, you're pretty much
restricted to a third of that: there's no easy way to keep turning
your head around subtly, constantly, to have a good perception of
the area around you. Furthermore, sound is often quite poor
compared to real life -- whereas in real life I would rely on the
sound of footsteps to know if somebody's approaching behind me, I
can't really rely on that in a computer game.

In short, the restrictions inherent to a computer game (until a
high quality virtual headset is perfected) necessitate third person
view. *For me*.

If some people like first person, whoopee for them.

Me, I can't deal with it. Makes me feel claustrophobic.
"*Astrolabe*...whirls...*twirls*!"
w***@yahoo.com
2005-03-14 16:54:17 UTC
it's still 10000% more immersive than watching a toon from his back,
you can never feel like you're there
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
2005-03-15 10:14:26 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
it's still 10000% more immersive than watching a toon from his back,
you can never feel like you're there
No it's not more immersive. "First person" in games is just a camera
with no "real" player model attached to it (but there might be a
weapon stuck to the camera). And the field of vision is, as has been
pointed out, smaller than "in the real world". And the lack of
pointing the "head" in a different direction than the direction you
move in is exceedingly rare (generally only found in 'mech games).
w***@yahoo.com
2005-03-15 14:20:39 UTC
so you're telling me that, if I put my hands to the sides of my eyes
thus reducing my field of vision just like playing in FPV is not more
immersive that attaching a camera to my back with a pole hanging from
10 feet and wearing goggles that show me what the camera shows?
let's get real please, I agree the 3rd person view is tactically more
convenient, but definitely not more immersive than 1st person view
Tippi
2005-03-15 20:00:45 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
let's get real please, I agree the 3rd person view is tactically more
convenient, but definitely not more immersive than 1st person view
If you are in 1st person view you will never be able to see your
character do the cool moves, like the scorpion kick, side spins, virus
attacks etc. First person view would be fine for games where all you
have to do is look around, move, fire a weapon. In MxO hands, arms,
legs, body etc. are all involved as you fight with your body. (You can
"specialize" in long range fire and not bother with hand combat, but
that will diminish the flavour of the Matrix, IMHO.)

Mind you the game is still buggy in the stress test. I've had to do
some quests more than once because of bugs, e.g. an NPC was ordered to
follow you, but she did for 2 steps then just stood there, your guard
wouldn't follow you up certain stairs etc. And it would not let me take
another quest without finishing the one before, so I had to abort the
mission and restart it, and hope I don't run into bugs.
Cataleptic
2005-03-09 21:26:12 UTC
Post by Jim Vieira
Still, the reason some of us prefer a first person view is they find it to
be more immersive. Also, with good 3D sound, you'll know if someone
is coming behind you.
Mind you, in the case of MxO, the character will be doing backflips,
frontflips, sideflips and various other assorted acrobatics, right (I
mean, the Matrix was a tech-demo for Wire Fu, amongst other things). An
FPS view of all that would induce motion sickness fairly reliably :)
Remove the mess to reply.
Jim Vieira
2005-03-09 21:38:05 UTC
Post by Cataleptic
Post by Jim Vieira
Still, the reason some of us prefer a first person view is they find it to
be more immersive. Also, with good 3D sound, you'll know if someone
is coming behind you.
Mind you, in the case of MxO, the character will be doing backflips,
frontflips, sideflips and various other assorted acrobatics, right (I
mean, the Matrix was a tech-demo for Wire Fu, amongst other things). An
FPS view of all that would induce motion sickness fairly reliably :)
I should have mentioned I was speaking generally, as the person I
responded to seemed to be questioning first person view in general.
I'm not fully famaliar with the Matrix Online. I can imagine how it
would work better in 3rd person. Like I said, I was speaking in
general.
ChoyKw
2005-03-11 04:15:13 UTC
Post by Samy Merchi
Post by Lizard
Post by w***@yahoo.com
I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?
Probably something along the lines of "it's easier to watch your back if
you can actually SEE your back".
I can't understand how some people can play in first person view. I'd have
to do three-sixty turns every five seconds just to make sure nobody was
behind me.
Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in third
person. Much less stressful playing that way.
<end quote>

why not they just add a rear-view mirror like the race-sims did?
Samy Merchi
2005-03-11 04:58:15 UTC
Post by ChoyKw
Post by Samy Merchi
Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in
third person. Much less stressful playing that way.
why not they just add a rear-view mirror like the race-sims did?
What would be kind of interesting is if they had picture-in-pictures,
smaller frames inside the main screen, for left and right, and perhaps
rear. I'm picturing, your left 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
upper left corner, your right 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
upper right corner, and maybe rear in the bottom middle. That'd allow
you to see all around fairly quickly, equally easily as you can in
real life.

I suspect it'd take some getting used to, but I bet after a few weeks
playing like that, it'd become second nature.
"*Astrolabe*...whirls...*twirls*!"
RelMark
2005-03-12 03:45:29 UTC
Post by Samy Merchi
What would be kind of interesting is if they had picture-in-pictures,
smaller frames inside the main screen, for left and right, and perhaps
rear. I'm picturing, your left 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
upper left corner, your right 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
upper right corner, and maybe rear in the bottom middle. That'd allow
you to see all around fairly quickly, equally easily as you can in
real life.
I've seen something similar to that in a dungeon crawl shareware game.
Four view windows of equal size, one for each of the cardinal directions.

RelMark
Greg Johnson
2005-03-14 12:01:53 UTC
Post by Samy Merchi
Post by ChoyKw
Post by Samy Merchi
Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in
third person. Much less stressful playing that way.
why not they just add a rear-view mirror like the race-sims did?
What would be kind of interesting is if they had picture-in-pictures,
smaller frames inside the main screen, for left and right, and perhaps
rear. I'm picturing, your left 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
upper left corner, your right 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
upper right corner, and maybe rear in the bottom middle. That'd allow
you to see all around fairly quickly, equally easily as you can in
real life.
It was very easy to get used to.
Video-Game-Forum
2005-03-15 20:16:54 UTC